Snow Shoveling and Your Back
Just a reminder on this snowy day to be cautious when shoveling snow!
Here are some tips:
1. Don’t wait for the snow to finish falling – smaller loads are easier.
2. Use your knees, don’t just bend at the waist.
3. Avoid bending and twisting your back. Many people bend forward to scoop the snow, then twist their back as they dump the snow. Use your knees to scoop, and move your feet to turn and dump the snow.
4. Keep the heavy load closer to your body to reduce strain on your spine.
5. Remember to salt slippery areas to reduce the chance of falls.
6. Ask for help if you need it, and consult your doctor before you shovel if you have any other health concerns.